Finished Object: Gilmore Vest
I finished my Gilmore Vest on March 7, a week late. Oh well. My friends at knit night encouraged me to finish despite my trepidation regarding fit. And really I was so close, just one armhole ribbing away from being done. Blocking certainly helped too. I chose to wet-block this because I will be washing it occasionally. Pre-block it was too short and kind of lumpy in the wrong spots. Post block (and some gentle tugging for length) it looks much better. I’m amazed and happy with how much more drape fabric got post-blocking. I wore the vest last Sunday, both because I was hoping for some finished photos of it being worn and because it provided just enough warmth on a cool spring day. Goooooo! Woooool!
Pattern: Gilmore Vest, Rav link if you prefer
Yarn: Patons Classic Wool in Peacock, just over 2 skeins
Needles: US 6 for st st gauge of 4.4 sts/inch (approx 6.2 rows/inch), US 5 for hemline ribbing, US 4 for neck and armhole ribbing – note the gauge measurements are pre-blocking
Knit: flat in two pieces, then seamed per pattern instructions
- Hemline ribbing done for 3.25 inches (instead of 4.5 inches)
- Waist shaping added (or subtracted depending on your point of view) – reduced the stitch count by 4 inches then increased it again by about 3 1/2″ – I could have gone a bit narrower at the shoulders.
- Armhole shaping started 13 inches from hemline – reduced 10 sts on either side over… um 12 rows (bound off 5 then decreased 5 over, um 10 rows?)
- Worked straight until 18″ then started the neckline shaping
- Evaluated the back piece to determine where and how often the shaping would occur on the front. Decided to start the v-neckline around the smallest part of my waist (so about 7″ in) and the decreases ended up being a mix of every 6 rows and every 8 rows. I was slightly off in my calculations but once I had 10 stitches remaining I worked flat until I got to the proper length.
- 3 needle bind-off for the shoulders
- Picked up stitches for the neckline ribbing (3 sts for every 4 rows as suggested by my Finishing Book plus one extra to match my rib pattern). This turned out to be either 180 or 182 stitches. I worked 11 rows plus the bind-off row (for ribbing that is about 2 inches thick per the pattern). Then I carefully whip-stitched the ribbing edges down at the bottom of the V.
- Mattress stitched the side seams and then followed the same ribbing logic for the armholes.
What I’d do differently: Just find a DK weight yarn for this pattern. I think it looks a little bulky on me and while I’m not waiflike, I’m not really thick either. I think I could have used a bit more ease near the hips or maybe a bit less at the top. I’m not really sure. Knit that extra inch in length, I think the hemline ribbing hits at a bad spot. I’d also start the armhole a little sooner. The armhole does trouble me because I still feel like the straps were almost too long but the armhole itself sits too high and seems just a bit snug. I need to experiment with fit more to find the correct solution for that. I’m really happy that I picked up the stitches and really really happy that I took the time to figure out how to do a tubular cast-off (even though I could use more practice at it).