finally finished something
I’m not sure if this project has been in my sewing queue for a 6 months or 18 months. I know one day before a camping trip I got a wild hair to make a dog bed with some old jeans kicking around the craft room (I have such a hard time getting rid of old jeans – all that useable fabric!). I willy-nilly starting cutting with this vague plan of making something log-cabin-esque. It wasn’t going to be a cushy bed, but something that we could throw down on the ground for Dog to sleep on while we hang out in our camp chairs, something to limit the amount of muck and pins needles he manages to bring into our tent each night. And then my machine got cranky. I think my mistake was putting heavy thread in the bobbin. Sanity took over and I gave up the idea for the day (and got back to the packing I was supposed to be doing). The stack of cut-apart jeans has bounced around the craft room, never really finding a home ever since. I finally decided to try sewing it together with plain old thread (it worked on my first quilt made entirely of used-jeans and that is still going strong 10 years later).
Over the last couple weeks I’ve been working on the dog bed here and there. When I started thinking about the size dog bed I wanted I realized that log-cabin style wasn’t going to work so I put all the strips together to make a striped rectangular piece. That was a bit too narrow so then I decided to draw from a pillow (was it in a Denise Schmidt book or Last-Minute Patchwork & Quilted Gifts?) and slash and spread with contrasting fabric. I grabbed a couple yards of my favorite cotton canvas from Ikea (in Dog’s household color) and a yard of “by-the-yard” zipper. I make my dog beds like big pillow cases and I fill them with old blankets. This bed is stuffed with an old sleeping bag from TheHusband’s pre-me life; it had been kicking around the garage, constantly in the way. Now Dog has not one but two comfy beds (the other one is in our bedroom and is happily used now that it is stuffed with old blankets). And my garage is a wee bit tidier.
Oops, one strip isn’t quite long enough and wide enough, a quick addition of a scrap pieces fixes that.
The zipper on the bottom (I’m so glad I bought the by-the-yard zip, even if it doesn’t match). It looks lapped, but I didn’t really follow lap-zipper instructions.