FF: Long awaited dissappearing nine patch
Finished Friday. After putting off quilting for so long I managed to finish two quilts last December, the already shown Ducky Quilt and this quilt for my niece B.
I had to practice another free motion quilting design, since I wanted to quilt this with randomly placed flowers. When I was doing my practice piece I tried traveling from one flower to another but found the traveling stitches too distracting and chose to do each flower individually – never again – soooo many ends to bury (4 per flower if I was lucky). I aimed for each flower to be about the size of my hand.
The quilt measures about 45″ x 60″. I used 5 fat quarters and 2 half-yards of the black & white prints for the front, a whole piece of green polka-dotted yardage that was just barely wide enough for the back (I had to quilt this, because it didn’t have the fabric overage a long-arm quilter requires) and 1/2 yard of a third black & white print for the binding.
The quilting thread I picked out, a light green that looked subtly variegated on the spool but not at all on the quilt, was just different enough that I could see what I was doing as I quilted but it did not stand out – which meant that my random spacing left a few holes that I didn’t notice until the quilt was washed and crinkly. Luckily the unquilted spots are still within the quilting distance minimum prescribed by the batting.