Inventorying my homemade pantry
This is my third year of ‘putting up’ food for the winter. My second serious year, last year I took a bunch of notes and
saved them as private blog posts (and I just edited them to be public). That has worked fairly well, since I don’t loose those notes. And now, as tomato season starts for us (surely someone else sees the irony of advertising Early Girl tomatoes the first weekend in September?)… I need to take stock of what I have left from last year.
- 3 pints of salsa (orig. 7+6+7=20? pints)
- slightly less than a bag of slow-oven roasted tomatoes
- 3 pints of garlic dill pickles (orig. 7 pints)
- 2 pints of dilly beans (orig. 3 pints)
- 1 pint of lemon[y] cucumber pickles (orig. 3 pints)
- 3 half-pints of vanilla pear jam (orig. 6 half-pints
- 3 half-pints of blackberry jam (can’t find my notes)
Thoughts: we are almost spot on for salsa. I think we gave a couple jars away, and I know we didn’t try to “conserve” our salsa use so I’m going to aim for making three batches this year. Oddly enough the first year we made slow oven roasted tomatoes we flew them and so decided to make double the quantity, and yet we have almost half of them left over… We definitely paced ourselves in dill pickle consumption, but I don’t know why we haven’t eaten the dilly beans. I’m skipping any pickle recipe that calls for sugar though (lemon[y] cucumber pickles were a sweet), we just don’t eat them up quickly. And the jam – the blackberry was a solid but uninteresting jam that never inspired us to make chock-full-o-jam things, and the vanilla pear I think I forgot to give a couple jars away – but I’m looking forward to adding it to yogurt with some homemade granola. I need to find my balance between pb&j jam and fun/intriguing jam.
Additionally earlier this year I put up:
- 4 half-pints of rhubarb jelly
- 4 half-pints of rhubarb syrup
- 3 half-pints of rosemary rhubarb jam
- 1 half-pint of strawberry rhubarb jam (a gift, plus about 5 oz straight to fridge)
- 3 pints of asparagus pickles
And more to come, I have jam in the water-bath canner as I type. I need to get serious about getting our salsa and garlic-dill pickle supply canned.
Leave a Comment
Be the first to comment!