Rip it

And now Salt-n-Pepa’s Push It is in my head…

 finished sweater?  nope

My February Lady Sweater was done, just waiting end-weaving, button sewing and blocking; but the women at knit night agreed with me. The sleeves are too short (plus the cast-off was a little too snug creating a balloon effect).

Sleeves are too short

So last night while we watched Dollhouse (finally getting good, though I fear next week might be its last)  I wove in all the ends except on the sleeve cuffs. And I ripped out one sleeve cuff. *sigh* I was glad that I put in a lifeline on one sleeve right before the garter stitch cuff (this would be the second sleeve, around the time I started doubting the sleeve length myself). It didn’t take much time to put in a second lifeline on the edge of the other cuff, though I suspect I will also be tinking a row or two.

sigh

Like I said, thank goodness for lifelines, as I had no worries about ripping back too far and it won’t take much time at all to get those stitches back on the needles (correct orientation and all). The Ultra Alpaca sort of snagged on itself in a few spots, mostly in the cast-off row, but otherwise it looks fine and I wound the mess into I nice little center pull ball. Sadly I know this also means I will have two extra ends to weave in on each sleeve.

all hail the lifeline

May 2, 2009. Tags: , , , . Knitting. 2 comments.

Grandpa’s Hat

Last night WordPress ate half of my post (the half that involved inserting photos – which I find to be a bit of a pita); Right after I hit “publish” WordPress asked me to log in again and then gave me 1/3 to 1/2 of the draft I had just written.  I was so disgusted I went just went to bed instead.  Perhaps tomorrow I will feel up to telling you about the new desk drawer organizers I made last week.

Today I finally managed to get to the post office and send several (um, 4) packages off including my grandpa’s hat.  I think it is still too long (it ended up measuring about 9 1/2″; his hand is 8″ for the Yarn Harlot sneaky hat measuring method) but he can cuff it or just wear it with a bit of excess hat on the top of his head.  And drats, I forgot to weigh it, but based on the remaining ball of beige cashcotton I’m pretty sure this hat took less than 1 ball if made in a single color.

Grandpa's Hat

April 8, 2009. Tags: , . Knitting. Leave a comment.

First FO of 2009

Bright ScarfRight on schedule, if not on time, I finished knitting my grandmother’s scarf the day before her birthday.  If I lived close enough to bake her a cake I would have woven in the ends and blocked it that night; instead I wove ends in and blocked it through that week and it has been sitting waiting to be wrapped and sent since last Thursday.
Bright Scarf drapey

The scarf ended up being about 7″ wide and 48″ long and I managed to use 98 of the 100 grams I purchased for it – a total success if I ignore the fact I feel compelled to keep 2 grams of DK weight yarn.

Stats (Rav link)

  • Drop Scarf by Melissa Hills at kpixie.com
  • 2 skeins Classic Elite Wool Bam Boo
  • US 6 needles
  • didn’t bother measuring gauge

pattern mods: As recommended somewhere I purled the dropped stitch instead of marking it.  I did an extra repeat of the increase rows to have a final stitch width of 47 stitches (instead of 35), I did 15 straight row repeats, and an extra decrease repeat (as needed to match my increases).  I wouldn’t have thought to do the extra repeats if I hadn’t seen a great Malabrigo silky merino version on Ravelry that did it first.

February 11, 2009. Tags: , . Knitting. Leave a comment.