FO: Retro Redux Shrug

All done.  I skimped out on a couple things since I was knitting on a deadline.  I started knitting this on February 20th with the intentions of wearing it to a friend's wedding on March 15th.  I finished the shrug on the second leg of my flight to the wedding locale on March 13th and then weaved in the ends from the last ball of yarn at the hotel that night.  I maintain my general rate of no more than 1 ball of yarn per week (blargh).

Stats: Retro Redux Shrug from Lace Style; 3 entire balls of Karabella Aurora 8 yarn; Bryspun needles in size 8, 9, 10 and 10 1/2 (oh and a 2x" bamboo needle in size 8 for the collar); long tail cast-on and basic cast-off (I think there was a better choice but I ran out of research time); I downsized the pattern in wing-span length but not cast-on numbers.

I'm pretty happy with it, though I think it stretches a wee bit much over my shoulders making them feel unnecessarily wide and while it didn't keep me quite warm enough in the very cold room where the ceremony took place, I got quite warm while dancing at the reception and by the end of the night it started to fall off one of my shoulders.  I loved knitting with Aurora.  I plan on wearing the shrug again as soon as it gets warm enough (dratted cold weather) and while I have lots of knitting on my to do list I would be interested in knitting this pattern again.  It was dead easy to follow, though I would have liked more guidance on the right cast-on & cast-off choices.  I struggled and worried about the fit as well.  I ended up taking away like 4 inches from the smallest size wingspan (distributing those 4 inches between the various sections) which was a very good idea for me otherwise the cuffs would have been below my elbows (of course there is the excessive stretching across the shoulders…).

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

April 22, 2008. Tags: , , , . Thoughts. 2 comments.

progress, finished, started

Sheldon the turtle butt now has a neck, head, eyes, legs and shell.  I'm currently in the middle of doing the attached i-cord to put the shell together, then I will stuff and sew on his legs.  I missed my own personal deadline, but luckily my nephew probably won't notice (or remember if my SIL cooperates) that his first birthday present didn't arrive on his birthday.

Saturday evening I finally hand-stitched the binding onto the oven mitts and finished my first project almost completely done on my sewing machine.  I was really happy that I decided to stitch the quilting lines about 2 inches apart on the oven mitts because all that quilting, even on a machine, got old fast.  And I had to pull out the old machine to sew the binding on since the diameter of the babylock's free-arm was just a bit too big for the oven mitts' opening.  But the project is done and ready to be packed up and shipped off to my mom.  I hope the insul-bright batting works effectively.  The potholder pattern is from Amy Butler's In Stitches book and I traced my favorite oven mitt for the oven mitt pattern.  Originally I was hoping for two matching oven mitts but didn't have enough fabric.  I bought 1/2 yard of each fabric seen and that was basically just enough, I have 2 bias binding strips leftover, 2 triangles from either side of cutting the bias binding and a few pieces of quilted scraps from the oven mitts.

Potholder frontspotholder backsOven mitt

Last night I did my second gauge swatch for my first shrug.  I'm doing the Retro Redux Shrug from Lace Style in Karabella Aurora 8 merino.  I'm having a few issues with size (and maybe gauge) so I've started on the math and diagraming to figure out what to do about it.  Hopefully by the end of the night I will have cast-on for this project.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

February 21, 2008. Tags: , , , , , . Thoughts. 3 comments.